Motorcycle Insurance Information
Insuring: Lexington, Staunton, Covington, Buena Vista, Waynesboro, Clifton Forge, Warm Springs, Hot Springs, Rockbridge, Augusta, Alleghany and Bath Counties, Virginia.
Click to Begin Your Free Motorcycle Insurance Quote
Why do you need insurance for your motorcycle?
You'll enjoy being out on the open road even more when you're not worried about the safety of yourself, your passengers or your investment. Here are a few things to consider:
- If you're in an accident or your motorcycle is stolen, it costs money, often a lot of money, to fix or replace it.
- If you or a passenger is injured in an accident, medical costs can be extremely expensive.
- If your motorcycle is responsible for damage or injury to others, you may be sued for much more than you're worth.
- Your motorcycle may be one of your most prized possessions. It deserves special protection.
Things to consider and questions to ask your agent
Your Independent Agent is an advocate for finding insurance that meets your specific needs. Here are a few things to consider as you prepare for the discussion:
- How much can I afford to pay if my motorcycle is in an accident, damaged or stolen? (Ask your agent what your cost savings would be if you raised your deductible.)
- What discounts and programs are available? (Ask about discounts for taking safety classes or having multiple policies. You may also save money if your motorcycle is stored in a garage or if you belong to a motorcycle association.)
- How much medical and liability coverage should I have?
- Does the insurance company have a good reputation for customer service? Is it known for paying claims fairly and promptly?
- What's the process for filing and settling a claim?
Tips for the cost-conscious rider
Many factors can play a role in determining what your insurance costs will be such as your age, your driving record, where you live and the type of motorcycle you own, or being a graduate of a rider-training course.
- Many companies offer discounts from 10 to 15 percent on motorcycle insurance for graduates of training courses, such as the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) rider course. Riders under the age of 25, usually considered a higher risk, may see some savings by taking this course. It's also a good idea for cyclists who have already had accidents.
- Maintaining a good driving record with no violations will also help reduce your premiums.
- In many northern states, riders may save money by buying a "lay-up" policy. With a lay-up policy, all coverage except comprehensive is suspended during winter months.
- Find out what discounts your insurance representative offers. Multibike discounts for those insuring more than one bike, organization discounts, if you're a member of a motorcycle association, and mature rider discounts for experienced riders, are just a few possibilities. Discounts can range anywhere from 10 percent to 20 percent, depending on the company and your state. Availability and qualifications for discounts vary from company to company and state to state.
- Keep in mind that the type, style (such as a sports bike vs. a cruiser) and age of the motorcycle, as well as the number of miles you drive a year and where you store your bike may also affect how much you pay for your premium.
It’s very easy to get motorcycle insurance. All you must do is call Huffman Insurance Agencies at 540-463-7719. We offer guaranteed policy support, and with us, you can always feel secure knowing you can work through all the bells and whistles of policies to settle on the best coverage.
Common Motorcycle Insurance Questions:
What is motorcycle insurance?
A motorcycle is a motorized vehicle that is at risk of experiencing the same accident and operational hazards as any other vehicle. Yet, this risk is higher in comparison to that of a standard car or truck. Motorcycles have two wheels and require a specified skill set to operate. They also don’t offer riders the same level of security as standard automobiles do.
Due to this, it is critical for bikers to acquire personalized insurance coverage that may not be available within standard auto insurance plans. Motorcycle Insurance allows for owners to receive necessary protection to keep themselves and their vehicle protected in case of unexpected loss.
Why do you need motorcycle insurance?
Under the standard motorcycle insurance policy, you will get the assurance of financial assistance if you ever experience an unexpected, unpreventable loss involving your bike. This coverage will assist in paying for accident damage, settlements and other obstacles that may come your way. Whether you are on the road or parked on your driveway, this coverage will save you money and reduce potential personal losses.
What does motorcycle insurance cover?
Motorcycle insurance includes a large array of benefits, which offer you protection against any obstacle you may encounter:
Comprehensive coverage: This provides compensation if the motorcycle is damaged or lost due to fire, theft, vandalism, hail or wind.
Collision coverage: This provides compensation if the motorcycle is damaged or lost due to a collision with another vehicle or object.
Liability insurance: This covers bodily injury and property damage the insured biker may cause to others (IE other drivers) when they are at fault for an accident whenoperating the vehicle.
Personal Injury Protection (PIP): This insurance helps with medical expenses for the driver and their passengers in case of an accident, no matter who is atfault.
Guest passenger liability insurance: This coverage steps in if a guest driver causes an accident while operating the motorcycle with the owner’s permission.
Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance: This insurance steps in if the insured vehicle is involved in an accident with a driver not carrying insurance.
Other benefits that might be available to you include:
Am I required to buy motorcycle insurance?
In Virginia motorcycle insurance is required, and you must carry at least the following coverage.
Any firm that employs two or more workers must carry workers’ comp insurance. Coverage is mandatory, with no waivers or exemptions permitted.
In addition, companies that hire contractors to perform regular job tasks or to fulfill a contract must count those individuals when determining how many employees they have for workers’ comp purposes.
It may be required for bikers who have financed their bikes to purchase collision, comprehensive, gap or other physical damage insurance in agreement with lender rules.
It is encouraged for you to seek additional coverage beyond that of the lowest level on your policy, and we pledge to assist you in determining which level of coverage best suits you.
What does motorcycle insurance cost?
Various factor can impact the price of your motorcycle policy, including:
Your chosen coverage limits
The value of your bike
Your driving accident history
Your history of claims on other motorcycle policies
It may be viable for two bikers to receive the same policies yet pay contrasting prices for them. However, we consistently search our carrier network to assure that you receive the policy that offers you the most reasonable price for the level for the benefits you desire.
You may also be interested in…
Motorcycle Insurance Quote Forms
Looking for coverage? Click any of the following links to submit a quote for quick, accurate and affordable rates.
Motorcycle Insurance Customer Service Options
Self policy service any time of the day, directly from our website. To request a policy change on your account, click any of the following policy service options below.